Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Delivery

Before jumping into the delivery story, I wanted to say a GINORMOUS thank you to all of the positive feedback I got on the first part of this story and my blog in general. I know I've neglected this baby in the past but your compliments have inspired me to give it the time it deserves.

Now, on to the nitty gritty!

April 17, 2015

10:30 pm-  The twenty minutes was up and I had recovered from my mini heart attack and started to breathe again by the time the nurse came back. I was about to have a freaking BABY!!! Okay, not a freaking baby- an adorable, perfect, sweet little angel baby, but a baby nonetheless. The nurse actually had gone to find the doctor because he hadn't expected me to be ready so soon! Emi and I make a really efficient team, obviously. Anyway, before the doc got there we did a few rounds of practice pushing to get my hoo-hah ready for what was to come. When you're a first time mom your lady parts aren't quite sure what their job is yet so it's best to ease them into things. We did about three sets of three pushes and then she grabbed the doctor. It was time for the big dance!

10:40 pm- Cue the entrance of the doctor and his entourage of cheerleaders. By entourage of cheerleaders I mean the nurses from the nursery. Seriously, you guys, I was showered in shouts of encouragement and it was awesome!

"You can do it, Cami!"
"Keep it up!"
"You're doing great!"

I mean, it was like being an Olympic runner! I'll have ten more babies if they promise to do that every time!

10:45 pm to 11:04 pm- Thanks to the magic of television I always imagined delivery to be back to back contractions and pushing, pushing, pushing.... but that couldn't have been more wrong! In fact, pushing Emiline out was the easiest part of the whole dang thing. Part of it had to be my incredible doctor. For anyone looking for an OBGYN in Utah County go to Valley OBGYN in American Fork. They are saints. I would push, and then we would hang out and chat for a minute before the next contraction came. I actually laughed during delivery! More than once in fact, and not because I had reached delusion. It was just so low pressure. I don't know very many people that can say that about squeezing a small human through a 10 centimeter opening!

11:05 pm- Not even thirty minutes since I had started pushing, sweet Emiline made her entrance into the world with one big shriek of joy (probably not joy)! That was it. She didn't cry or fuss or scream; she just made one little squeak so we would know she was alive and then she was silent! When they placed her on my chest my first thought was how tiny and perfect she was! Even covered in gunk with her cone head and squishy little face she was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. That's completely cliche isn't it? She had all of this dark hair like her Daddy and these big dark eyes just like me. And man was she tiny! At five pounds nine ounces she was the smallest baby I had ever held, but I wasn't worried about breaking her because she was mine! She was my baby! After nine months of acid reflux, swollen feet and the strangest dreams you could ever imagine, I had MY baby in my arms. And then I crashed.

She'll kill me when she grows up for posting this online, but
this is too hilarious not too share! Doesn't she look like a
grandpa? It's so adorable!! 
The rest of the night- Throughout my entire delivery I was alive with adrenaline and as soon as I didn't need all of that energy I was exhausted. That's an understatement. I was wasted! Running a marathon would have left me with more energy. To put it in perspective for you---I made Matt hold Emi because I was too tired to keep her in my arms! That's pretty freaking tired.

The rest of the night/early morning was spent getting both of us cleaned up and moved downstairs. It's all a blur. I know that my epidural had worn off by the time they wheeled me out of Labor and Delivery but I was so out of it I didn't even notice the pain. Then it was off to bed for me while I waited for Matt to bring Emi in from the nursery. What a difference a bath makes! Her hair was a puff of dark strands and she had more color to her which meant she was at least twice as tan as me. Fair skin problems, ya know?



Anyway, that's the story of how Emiline joined our family. Looking back it almost seems surreal, and even though things didn't go at all how I had planned I couldn't be more grateful for this beautiful soul. She truly is what was the missing from my life!




1 comment: